Real estate jargons are a tough nut to crack. They can be highly misleading and confusing, esp. to a first time home buyer. Most of us are unaware of these terms and end up paying more than what we are actually supposed to, while buying a property.
The following post is about the most basic, but daunting units used to describe the space that you eventually end up buying/ paying for :-
- The Carpet Area or the actual usable space in a house.
- The Built-up Area, which is the total space a house consumes including the carpet area and the area of the walls put together. The area of a terrace is usually considered as half of the built up area.
- Super Built-up Area, that includes built up area plus common usable spaces like stair cases, passages or lifts. It is also known as the Saleable Area.
Consider the following example, If you choose a 3BHK 1500 Square Feet flat,
The super built area would be 1500 Sq ft .
Built up – 1125 Sq ft (25% of super built up area)
Carpet – 1012.5 Sq ft (10% of built up area)
To understand this better, click on the reference image of our project Haridwar Greens. It is a typical 2BHK layout provided by the builder. Here the difference between the various types of areas are clearly highlighted.
This mechanism should be kept in mind if you want to compare offerings by different builders, as for obvious reasons, a buyer would only wish to pay for the space that is available for his personal use – in other words, the carpet area. However, there is no contained space without walls, so the buyers wind up paying for that too. This is, of course, unavoidable.
Anything below these deduction figures and you should know that the builder is making profits by means that are not exactly healthy to the long term life of the project.
Still have questions? Leave a comment here, and we will get back to you.
- 1st Time Home Buyers Guide (9)
- About BOP (3)
- About My City NCR (3)
- BOP Events (3)
- Buyers Information (5)
- Commercial Real Estate (1)
- For Buyers (6)
- For Seller (1)
- Latest Listings (1)
- Legal Help (1)
- Lifestyle NCR (3)
- Market Trends (3)
- Media Coverage (6)
- News & Research (7)
- Noida Extension (1)
- Predictions (3)
- Property (2)
- Property in Noida (177)
- Property Laws and Regulations (11)
- Property NCR (3)
- Property Reviews (2)
- Readers Corner (1)
- Real Estate Agents (1)
- Real Estate News (18)
- Realty Trends (4)
- Sellers Information (1)
- Selling Your Home Yourself (1)
- Services (1)
- Tips & Tricks (4)
- Trivia (2)